Africa East Africa World 

South Sudan to hold much-anticipated elections in 2024

South Sudan will hold general elections next year, the first for the small nation after gaining independence in 2011. Incumbent President Salva Kiir who made the announcement on Tuesday said the long-delayed elections will be held as planned this time round. Kirr has been president of the country since 2011 and signalled he would seek re-election in the polls scheduled… Read More
Africa East Africa World 

South Sudan forms unified army, integrates opposition commanders

– – South Sudan’s President Salva Kiir has now formed a unified armed forces command and has also integrated opposition commanders into the structure of the armed forces. Per the new structure, the president’s faction has a 60% representation while the opposition occupies the remaining 40%. A line-up of the names of the generals to lead the unified command was… Read More
Africa East Africa World 

South Sudan: Political rivals agree to form unified army

– – In a move that could signal a significant approach towards ensuring a sustainable peace deal, South Sudan’s political rivals have now agreed to form a unified armed forces command. Officials representing President Salva Kiir and his first Vice-President Riek Machar signed the deal on Sunday to fulfil a key pillar of 2018 peace agreement. Major General Martin Abucha,… Read More
Africa East Africa World 

South Sudan: Unity government still faces challenges after two years

– – Two years ago South Sudan’s rival political factions signed a peace deal that ushered in a unity government that was supposed to restore peace to the country. Former rebel leader of South Sudan Riek Machar and three other persons were sworn in as vice presidents. The formation of a unity government was seen as a major move that… Read More
Africa East Africa World 

South Sudan political rivals delay unity government

South Sudan’s president and a former rebel leader have agreed to delay forming a unity government for 100 days beyond the Nov. 12 deadline. Uganda’s presidency said such a move is aimed at buying time due to concerns that war could resume if the two sides were pushed. South Sudanese President Salva Kiir and opposition leader Riek Machar held a… Read More
Africa East Africa Featured World 

South Sudan political rivals agree on unity government

Political rivals in South Sudan have now agreed on a unity government months after signing a deal to end the civil war in that country. President Salva Kiir and former rebel leader Riek Machar agreed to form a transitional government on Wednesday. The two leaders held their first face-to-face talks in months in South Sudan’s capital, Juba, according to government… Read More

President Salva Kiir accuses UN workers in his country of siding with rebel fighters seeking to overthrow him.

The relationship between South Sudan and the United Nations (UN) is souring during a critical time of conflict and mass death inside the world's newest country.  After a month of fighting between President Salva Kiir's government and rebels loyal to former Vice President Riek Machar, the UN suddenly finds itself under verbal attack from South Sudan. Read More