DR Congo: Meningitis outbreak declared with 129 deaths

– – The World Health Organization has declared an epidemic of meningitis in northeastern Democratic Republic of Congo. So far 129 people have died from the outbreak, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Wednesday. In a statement it said a total of 261 suspected cases have been recorded with a “high case fatality ratio of 50 percent.” “Confirmatory tests carried out by the Institut Pasteur in Paris detected Neisseria meningitidis – one of the most frequent types of bacterial meningitis with the potential to cause large epidemics,” the statement…

Read More