Africa Nigeria South Africa Southern Africa West Africa World 

Nigeria to fly home 600 citizens from SA due to violent attacks

Nigeria’s government has announced plans to repatriate 600 of it’s citizens from South Africa following a surge in xenophobic violence.

Nigerians have been the worst affected by the attacks from locals on African migrants in South Africa.

The development has impacted diplomatic relations between the two countries. But Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari is due to visit South Africa next month.

BBC reports that Nigeria’s Consul General in Johannesburg has revealed that some of the Nigerians will leave on two flights on Wednesday.

Nigeria’s Consul General Godwin Adama told the BBC only those under distress as a result of the attacks would leave the country.

Ten people, including two foreigners, were killed in Johannesburg last week following mob attack on foreign-owned businesses.

Most of the attacks have been sparked by locals against against the employment of foreigners.

On Sunday, two people were killed as violence erupted in Johannesburg.

President Cyril Ramaphosa has condemned the violence. He said his government will “not allow sporadic lawlessness and violence to disrupt the safety and livelihoods of millions of South Africans”.

“The majority of foreign nationals in our country… are law-abiding and have the right to conduct their lives and businesses in peace,” the president added.

On Sunday, South African bishops from the Catholic church demanded action from the SA government over the violent attacks on African migrants.

The Catholic Bishops dismissed claims by the South African government that the attacks on foreigners were not xenophobic.

Source: Africafeeds.com

Related posts